Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Kids Amaze Me!

This post is one that I wrote over at the Everyday Christian Moms Network to go with our weekly blog theme, "My kid's Amaze Me."

We would love to have you come on over to the network to participate. We welcome, previously published posts from your personal blog, as well as links your blog.



My kids continue to amaze me by teaching me something new almost daily. I firmly believe that children are God's way of revealing Himself to us. The joy of parenthood lets us experience a piece the love that God feels for us as His children.

To illustrate how my kids "teach" me, I will share a story that actually happened this Sunday.

We were on our way home from church (I had my 9 year old daughter and four year old daughter in the car with me) and the road that I usually go home on (a highway) was blocked off. They did not do a very good job of providing detour signs. Now, anybody who knows me understands that I can get lost in a paper bag! Turn me around once and I am helpless! With us being new to the New Orleans area, I had no idea how to get home. So of course I did what any sane person would do, I went around and around in circles (each time ending in a spot that was back BEFORE the road blockage, even though I thought I had passed it). Every time we came back to the blockage I would exclaim, "What? how did we get back here? Dagblasted, dogone it!" (Like most moms, I used made up curses to avoid using bad language in front of my kids)

Finally after coming back to the road block 3 times, my nine year old looked at me and said, "Mom why don't you just pray about it and we will get home. Your way of handling it doesn't seem to be working."

I just looked at her and wondered two things. Why was she being so cheeky? and Why I hadn't thought of that before? Then my emotion turned to being amazed that she had said something so profound. So there we were in the car, saying a prayer together for God to get us home. Sooooo... I think you can guess what happened next. Almost immediately, I recognized a landmark and we made our way past the roadblock and back onto the highway. As we got onto the highway we all yelled. "Yay!" (you have to remember we had been driving around for an hour so this was a big deal)

A little bit down the road, I hear a little voice from the back of the car say, "Thank you, God!" It was my four year-old Lilly. Deborah and I joined in the thanksgiving for the miracle that God had performed on our behalf (again, if you know me, you know that it was a miracle that we found our way!)

So, that is my story about "how my kids amaze me". They amaze me by loving God with an innocence that seems to get all mixed up for us as adults. I thank the Lord for sending these precious ones into my life! He reveals His love to me through them on a daily basis!

Matthew 18:2-4 (New International Version)

2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

They clearly know He is in control! Great job.

 
ss_blog_claim=12c4a453b8134d1fa045954430a857e1