Sunday, October 19, 2008

Remember The Masterpieces

Yesterday, my daughter Lilliana (age 3) presented me with the most beautiful "masterpiece" that she had spent quite a time creating. I smiled as she presented her drawing to me, with her eyes wide, a look of excitement and anticipation adorning her rosy little face.

"Look mommy, its a flower!
she exclaimed, "And that's you and daddy holding the flower that I gave you!" she finished proudly.

I felt a wave of emotion as I looked at the picture, a mass of colors and entangled lines, finally focusing on the two central figures that looked as much like my husband and I holding flowers as lemons are sweet. I accepted her gift to me with an enthusiastic reply.

"Oh Lilliana, that is beautiful, you did such a good job!"

Do you remember those lovingly created "masterpieces" that you have received from your own child? I am talking about the infamous lopsided clay pots, the beautiful toilet paper roll dolls, or the scribble-scrabble family portraits. As a parent, you accepted those gifts with open arms, regardless of the "artistic value" that they may have had by the world's standards. You were excited that your child had taken the time to make you a gift. You were touched by the effort and love with which the piece had been created- just for you. It was beautiful for what it stood for, not for what it was.

This brings to mind how many times as Christians we remain stagnant because we feel we are not "good enough" for God. We have lost the childlike faith that we need in order to give ourselves to him, regardless of our shortcomings. I have experienced this many times in my own spiritual walk. It is unimaginable to me that He loves me despite my many imperfections!

Let's take a moment to look at how it is possible that God connects with us just like an earthly parent connects with a child.

Romans 8:10, 14-15 has this to say about God as our Father:

10. Your body will always be dead because of sin. But if Christ is in you, then the Spirit gives you life, because Christ has made you right with God.
14. The true children of God are those who let God's Spirit lead them. 15. The spirit that we receive is not a spirit that makes us slaves again to fear. The Spirit that we have makes us children of God. And with that Spirit we say, "Father, dear Father."

How wonderful this is! How comforted we can be that when we are led by Christ, even our "lopsided clay pots" are acceptable to the Father. We do not have to live in fear or condemnation any more!

So the next time that your precious child presents you with another "masterpiece"- be reminded of the love that our Heavenly Father has revealed to us. Don't be held back by your insecurities and fear. Christ has given us the ability to triumph over all of that!

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=12c4a453b8134d1fa045954430a857e1